CURRIED SHRIMP SPAGHETTI



The biggest picky eater in my house is my husband. He eats without complaining much, but he eats very less, i feel my efforts have gone in vain. And when it comes to something continental, he is least fan of it. Though my favorites too are Malabari dishes, i also am in awe with most of foreign dishes, especially due to very less effort and time that goes into making one.


My mother is a great cook, and i grew up eating all the best of Malabar delicacies, so there is no way I do not love them, especially when Umma cooks. But being a good chef, my Umma also like to experiment new dishes  and jots down almost all the recipes that are telecasted in television cookery shows.
So as a kid I was lucky enough to gobble all her delicious experiments. There was no way possibly any recipe could go wrong, especially when she cooks and adjusts a recipe according to her taste. There is really some magic in her hands.



Today's post is Shrimp spaghetti.
I am a great fan of something cheesy and white sauces when it comes to pasta and spaghetti. Whereas the only way my hubby would eat it is when loaded with spices. So I was forced to give this a Malabari twist. My kids love Spaghetti and was begging since ages to make one. As I said, my hubby do not fancy it in any sort, i pushed this away from my food routine to make space for even more Malabar dishes he like.
To put an end to my kids' cravings, I decided to make one at the same time to make my hubby eat the same without much fuss.


 So I prepared a shrimp curried sauce for this spaghetti, with all the spice powders that would be added usually in an Indian style curry. I first cooked the shrimps for a while rather than frying as i feel that would be more flavorsome than the fried version.



Over to the recipe,
Ingredients:

  • Spaghetti- 300 gms
  • Shrimp - 250 gms (deveined and deshelled and cooked in water with turmeric powder and salt)
  • Oil- 2 tbsp
  • Onion -1 medium
  • Tomatoes- 2
  • Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Carrot- 1/2, sliced thin
  • Bell pepper- 1/2, sliced thin
  • Kashmiri chilli powder- 1 tsp
  • Coriander powder- 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
  • Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
  • Tomato Ketchup - 2 tbsp
  • Worcestershire sauce/soy sauce- 1 tsp
  • Salt- to taste
  • Coriander leaves to garnish.



Method:

Lets cook shrimp first.

  • Cook the shrimps in water with turmeric powder and salt. Reserve 1 tbsp water and let the rest dry off completely.
Let's prepare the shrimp sauce.
  • In a deep bottomed pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, Add onions, saute till translucent.
  • Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell disappears.
  • Now add in the tomatoes and cook it till soft and mushy.
  • Add bell peppers and carrot. Cook for few minutes.
  • Add in spice powders and saute.
  • Add in the ketchup and sauce.
  • Finally add shrimps, its stock, coriander and mix well off the flame.
  • In a huge pan of boiling water, pour some oil and salt.
Let's cook pasta.
  • Let the water boil thoroughly, Throw in a pack of spaghetti. Let it cook perfectly.
  • Drain off the excess water.
Final mixing.
  • Now heat the pan with shrimp sauce and throw in the spaghetti. Mix everything till well incorporated.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kunafa

Bread pockets

chatti pathiri... layered pancakes with chicken filling & a happy news