This is one of my favorite side dishes for rice. A day when there is some short of curries or if there is curry but in little quantity, I love to prepare this. I love most of the yogurt based side dishes, especially this one with my favorite veggie. It is very easy to prepare and pairs awesomely with rice. This is definitely the 'Sadya' type curry or Raita.
All you have to do is first dry roast some spices and powder it with yogurt so that yogurt get the flavor of these spices and then roast ladies finger till all the the stickiness and gooey texture vanishes. Combine the veggie and yogurt and then final thing is tempering. As easy as that.
- Ladies finger- 10 medium peices
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Dried red chilli- 1 or 2
- Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Coconut Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 stem
- Dry roast dried red chilly , coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a pan till it releases its aroma. Transfer to a bowl and cool before powdering them.
- Slice the ladies fingers into horizontal slices.
- Heat a pan, add very little coconut oil and add ladies finger and roast them with salt and turmeric powder till its sticky glue like liquid disappears.
- Powder the dry roasted spices in a food processor or mixer grinder.
- Add yogurt to these crushed spices and pulse them once again in the mixer, so that all are well blended.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the mustards splutter add the yogurt spice mix and off the heat immediately. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Adjust salt.
- Add the ladies finger to the yogurt.
- Serve hot.